Have an event we should know about? Please Contact Us
California’s rich maritime history comes alive at this popular event. The festival is full of all things maritime, kicking off on Friday afternoon from 3:30 to 8 p.m. with the tall ships setting sail for cannon battles at sea. Later, from 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m., get ready to boogie at the Sails ‘n Ales Craft Beer Party featuring brews from eight local brewers and music by Rogues In Xisle (“It Takes a Pillage”).
As the weekend continues, festival goers have numerous choices to fill the days with all things maritime, starting with the Festival Adventure Pass (adults, $20; seniors and military, $18.50; kids (2- 14), $17). The pass allows access to three main areas of the event:
• Ocean Institute’s Main Campus, open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., offers an array of educational activities centered on maritime history and its impact on our culture.
• The Maddie James Seaside Learning Center & Historical Wharf is open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. for tall ship tours.
• The Lil’ Lads’ Landing, open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., offers a pirate obstacle course, festival games, challenges, and opportunities to win prizes, face painting, crafts and more!
If your fantasies include an encounter with mermaids, you’re in luck, because those dreams can come true at the festival’s mermaid adventures on both Saturday and Sunday:
• Breakfast with Mermaids, 8:15 a.m. to 10 a.m., and The Mermaid Tea by the Sea, 1:15 p.m. to 3 p.m. Both events offer a dazzling mermaid swim show, story time, and photo session. The breakfast will be catered by Maison Café and high tea will be catered by The Tea House on Los Rios. Tickets are $70 per person and include a Festival Adventure Pass.
• Missed the Mermaid Breakfast or the Mermaid Tea by the Sea? No worries. Attend an interactive Mermaid Swim Show ($35 per person) offered at 10:15 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. The ticket includes a Festival Adventure Pass.